Monday, November 3, 2008

what do you think?

we are getting very close to being in our house. we will move in with all the basics done, but not having finished everything, like the decorating and finishing work. some say we are crazy because once we move in the rest won't get finished. i used to think this myself. but we have one major thing ensuring the house gets all those finishing touches. the boys don't get to build their garage/workshop until the house is 100%! so, i am pretty confident that things will get done. plus, we are coming up on winter, there is plenty of 'down time' in winter to finish projects. i had grand dreams of moving into a beautiful house, ready to fully place all of our things just where they should go. the walls painted lovely shades and the built ins ready for storage. i guess a girl can't have it all. at least we will be in.

i have had months to envision how i would decorate things. i have cut out magazine clippings of ideas and hunted online for the perfect look. the reality is that my home will never look like a pottery barn add. but, i can make it mine, with my touch, my feel. now the issue comes in when husbands can't let go. andy has always been good about letting me do the decorating and liking the outcome. this time it is more difficult for him. i guess the house is a little like his baby. he thought he could let go and be done when the building is complete. but we are finding this a little hard for him. i found out this weekend that he has plans of putting a space mural in the boys room. okay, this could be cool, but it wasn't what i was envisioning. then as i have gotten closer to finalizing my thoughts for the bedroom, i learn that he thinks it won't be comfortable for him. i think he forgets that he has doubted my vision before, but what always happens in the end? he loves it! it may be time for a sit down talk about how he built the house and now i get to finish my part. that is what i can do for this house. i may not be able to climb on the roof wielding my tool belt, complete with 20 pounds of tools and nails, but i have a love for decorating. (with or without the budget i may hope for).

so, this is where you come in. i know that i'll get about 4 responses from those of you kind enough to care about my life enough to follow my blog. but i want to know which way you vote for my bedroom. i am including 2 pictures that give the overall feel of my idea vs. andy's idea. which do you like? keep in mind that obviously the actual room will turn out different than the pictures i could find, but just go with me on this one. what do you think?
one difference in the above picture is that the walls would be a robins egg blue color!

13 comments:

Jenn said...

This is a no brainer for me, I like the 1st picture better. =) No offense to anyone!

Jocelyn said...

I'm loving choice #1! Although I do love the rustic cabin feel of choice 2, I think #1 suits you best! it's very pretty!

Brianne said...

The top picture for sure. There is too much wood in the bottom picture. But that's just my opinion. Good luck on the decorating!

another day in the life of... said...

thanks guys, no offense taken. i don't think andy really reads my blog often and if he sees the comments he never takes offense...

Jennie said...

The first one seems so much more relaxing.

Anonymous said...

Mindy, I definitely like the 1st one. If the bottom picture had other accessories and a different blanket, it would be better. I like the natural wood thing, but not too overpowering. You and Andy should both look at magazines to find what each other likes. then you might find some common ground that he could envision easier. At least that is what I learned in my interior design class.
am

Kelly Tillotson said...

I think there could be a collaboration on 1 and 2. 1 is definitely more of a relaxing master-retreat,but that floating fireplace in number 2 is awesome.... I'll have to admit I was never a fan of wood-paneling! But they both have those comfy over-stuffed chairs...How exciting, you're almost there!

Anonymous said...

As part of the "committee", I vote for the first one- all though mine will probably look like the second. :)
Karen

Leahona said...

Jacob said:
Envision this!: Like Am said common ground is a good thing. (So is trusting your wife. They are so very rarely wrong,especially in matters of the home.)Anyway- Take your idea add pale washed wood wainscoating and one complete wall of the same wood with elegantly- woodsy accents and a grouping of large family portaits,smaller kids art and framed art pieces. I can't wait to see whatever you come up with. I do like the first picture best though. And be sure and let me know where you put that daylily painting. Love you Dovey!

Anonymous said...

I too like the first one, BUT I don't see the exposed construction that your house has fitting that plan. Do you plan to plaster over the wood panels and frame out the floor beams above to create a miter box ceiling feel?

Anonymous said...

The second one is ugly. Who would pick that???

-- Andy

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm not sure how to make a comment on your actual blog page. Sorry...guess I need to go to blog school.

anyhoo, picture one is definitely better! The idea of the robin's egg blue walls is great! Picture two looked like a shot from some out of date, seedy motel....you know the kind....you always wonder if the sheets are really clean and where the safest place to set your luggage is. The fireplace in the wall would be cool though.

So, there you go. You have my input. I know you've been waiting and waiting, and now life can go on. :)

Good luck, girl!

Love you,
A

another day in the life of... said...

thanks to all of you for your opinions. sorry to andy who apparantly has been misunderstood. i'll post an update once the room is done... i guess we'll all have to wait and see what we decide!