Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Never, cont...

I just finished reading Jenn Baird's blog and was reminded of a childhood story. (If you haven't read her posting yet then read it before you read mine, it will make more sense... http://overthinkingeverything.blogspot.com/2008/06/never.html )

I once told my Mom that I "never got to do (fill in the blank) and I always had to do (fill in the blank)." So she told me that she wouldn't want to make me a liar and for the rest of that day I got to follow her around and do all the chores that she was doing. That day I NEVER got to watch TV, I NEVER went outside to play, I NEVER played Barbies with my sister and I NEVER wrestled with my brother. I did get to run around fetching whatever my Mom wanted me to get, I helped sew, I helped do dishes and cook. I dusted, vacuumed, swept the floor, made beds, changed sheets and learned that I NEVER wanted to become a grown up. I probably even said I would NEVER use that punishment on my kids! But, as they are getting older and I am starting to hear some of these same sentiments, I think I may once again copy the wisdom of my mother. Because, after all I am sure that I NEVER said NEVER again!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

that is a great story. I should try that on my kids. But I am sure I would NEVER be able to follow through with it:)

Anonymous said...

Mindy, you are so hilarious! Yes those things I to remember well, and the sad part?, I have become just like my mother too.(which I swore I would never do) I do however, see the wisdom in her ways that I never understood before.
am