Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Should Mom's take Naps?

This is a subject that I have been thinking a lot about lately. Why? Maybe it is out of guilt. But regardless why I muse, I thought I would share my thoughts on the subject. Some people say is is irresponsible to nap while taking care of your children. Others say to nap when they nap. And then there are those like me who swear by the benefits of a daily rest.
You may have questions, "How do you get things done around the house?", "Doesn't it seem lazy to sleep in the middle of the day?", "What do your kids do while you sleep?". Well, I have a few answers. "How do YOU get anything done around the house?", "Haven't you heard of the health benefits of resting each day?", "Whole cultures take daily siestas, why not?", and lastly, "Is it really going to kill my kids to watch PBS for an hour?"
Now that I am really going on the subject let me tell you what I consider to be some of the benefits of napping. It gives me an energy boost to keep going. That, in turn motivates me and helps me be more productive. It keeps my mood level, so I am not too irritable or cranky. Just ask my kids, they prefer the well rested Mom. Nap time provides an opportunity for my 3 year old to have unhindered creative exploration with the brown sugar! (True story) I am providing picture examples of what my house looks like when I don't take naps=less energy and motivation:













And when I do take naps=more energy and motivation:













The bottom line comes down to the old addage, "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"
Happy Mama=Happy Kids!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Min, I agree whole heartedly!
Am

Jennifer said...

love the pictures...very funny. I have been known to nap:)

Sunshine said...

Right on SISTER! I knew I liked you. A nap a day keeps the crazies away! Or can I just say DITTO! Everything you said including the pictures!