Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Confessions of a Slacker Mom, part 2

I was at Home Depot, happily looking at paint colors and tile options. I had Ethan and Eli in the shopping cart with strict instructions to stay put while I made some decisions. Benson was taking turns pushing the cart and Karen and I were browsing. Before long I realized that both younger boys were out of the cart, running around, laughing and taking paint chips off the shelf. Benson was pushing the cart all over the place and often in circles, enjoying the freedom of not having any precious cargo. What could Mom say if his younger brothers weren't inside to get hurt? I was proud of myself for not looking around to see who was watching and wondering about my slacker Momship. What did I do you ask? Nothing. I did not follow through on my threats about what would happen if they got wild at the store. I was enjoying myself and having fun dreaming about my home. No more keeping the children quiet and in place. No more bribing them for good behavior. No more caring what other customers might think. And mostly just having fun watching them have fun. As they started to rifle through each drawer and cupboard in the kitchen section, it got louder and louder. What did I do? Walked away. That's right, I didn't have the energy to wrestle them in, so I walked away. We were almost done with our shopping excursion, so I went to the next isle and pretended they weren't mine. Bad Mommy! Oh well, it's not as if they couldn't be heard. One day I think it would be fun to play the part of shocked bystander. "Who's children are those?", "Can you believe she's not even paying attention to them?", "Well, I never!", "If I had kids, I would never let them do that!", etc... Maybe, some day. Nah, I think I will always be the one laughing in the background, saying to the Mom, "they sure are having fun."

So, until next time, all you slacker Mom's, hang in there...

My name is Mindy West and I am a Slacker Mom!
This is Cranberry Zing, the color we chose for the exterior of our house. The color doesn't translate real well on computer screens, you'll just have to come visit to see the real color.

4 comments:

Kelly Tillotson said...

oooh! i reallllly like that! its earthy/rustic with a...zing! you have some pillows similiar to that in your living room, dont you? i love all fall colors...its going to look beautiful nestled in the forest!

Brianne said...

I must be a slacker mom too. Owen and I were out shopping the other day and he was running around the store like a crazy man. I just let him. I didn't have the energy to try to stop him. He wasn't causing too much destruction though...if he started throwing clothes everywhere I would have stopped him. I had an old man lecture me once at the hospital though. We were in the waiting room waiting to go see my mother-in-law and Owen picked up a bunch of papers. I told him to give them back, but he didn't. He started running around with them. I didn't do anything. The old man was like, "If you say no, MEAN IT!!!" I just looked at him and smiled...then I walked over and took the papers back from Owen. I think sometimes you've just got to pick your battles...some aren't worth fighting.

Jennifer said...

I love your color you chose.I really have to know who names those colors....they are terribly creative.

And I need to play "choosing paint colors" at Home Depot with you :)

Jennie said...

You make me smile.