Thursday, June 12, 2008

The other day I received a surprising phone call. A friend from high school had tracked me down. We used to do so much together and yet I haven't seen her for years. I was really happy to get her call and catch up on old times. I was also sad to hear the challenges she has faced over the past year. Sabrina is her name and she has something called aplastic anemia, basically a rare form of blood cancer. She has gone through chemo and radiation and had two bone marrow transplants. In the middle of it all her husband left her and filed for divorce. I wonder sometimes why my life can be so seemingly smooth, while someone else has to suffer so much. I know Heavenly Father loves us both equally. I know he is aware of both of our challenges and circumstances. I have come to a peace in my heart that these things are true and that we all go through different challenges, ones that we are able to handle, but with the end goal being the same. We are expected to use our challenges to come closer to the Lord, to be converted to Him. I want to again share the Gospel with Sabrina. We had many discussions when we were teenagers and I know she has the beginnings of a testimony. I also know that Heavenly Father loves her and wants her to know the truth. There is nothing in this life or the next that can bring her greater peace or happiness than coming to the Lord, through the true church. I now pray that I can know how to share this with her from such a distance. She lives in Kentucky while I am here in Massachusetts. But, I think that she found me again for a reason, more than reminiscing.

While talking to her she gave me her myspace info where she has posted some pictures of us together as teenagers. How embarrassing, but it was the 90's!



Also, I want to share a link for being a bone marrow donor. Talking to someone I know who's life has been saved by someone doing this, opens my eyes to this selfless service...
http://www.cancercenter.com/bone-marrow-transplant.htm?source=googlppc&c=10537:1:1
If this doesn't work as a link then you can always copy and paste...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow, you look so dif. I've never seen you with long hair. You go, you hot mamma you! BTW, love the new "look" of your blog. TTFN

Gary Kleiban said...

Hi. My mom has aplastic anemia and wanted to share with you the link to a service we have been building for patients and caregivers battling this condition.
http://everyonemd.com

Gary